Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Behind the scene - Part 1

gosh...i left my blog unattended for quite some time...finally its time for me to keep up the pace since evy1 has been bz updating...

Audit test was straight after the wk of m'sian nite, n i was relieved that my audit presentation was just over too!

life keep on bz..sky keep on crying...i wonder why spring has come n weather still so bad...

continued from my previous blog, i feel like writing stg more than that...

Lets turn the clock back for a little....

# Two wks before MNite 08....
Almost half of the committee went to the south island trip on Tuesday. I wish I get a chance to go out welly as well =( I m jealous in some way but I know I cant leave the job undo…although I believed that most of them gonna catch up with work after they r bck from the trip, but still there were many stuffs to deal with, the sponsors, the invitation cards, the posters, the website...
Mirah n I met up with Jack on tues night to finalise the prizes and certs for the committee awards as well as the daffodil day stuff…Jack kept asking us about the website while we still waiting Fifi to finish it. As long as the website is not done, the promotion will remained hanging…well, sometimes Jack is very hard to deal with as he will come up with "wonderful" ideas that mirah n I find it weird to entertain..wat to do? he is still one of the sponsor...
I was supposed to meet Aunty this wk, but unfortunately Aunty was sick…so evythg hav to be postponed.sigh ;(
on and off..rumours said that there were some people who were having a bet on the success of this event... frankly, that was pretty sad n annoying but i kept telling myself not to bother..
Since Irin was not aroung, Mirah & I were still working hard on finding more sponsors. we were hoping Istana Malaysia, Satay Kajang, Indian Express to give us reply. It was really hard though since many of these sponsors hav been sponsoring for the las Bersatu Games ;( We did called Tolsi but to no avail, however we din't expect Mughlai curry corner will say yes,but the outcome is.....…I dun wish to disclose...(*for further info, pls make enquiries from committee =p lol)

V were surprised that Cinta restaurant sponsored. We failed to get MAS airlines which is pretty sad as evy1 is hoping that.. they actually gv out too many sponsorship this yr n they decided to freeze it on..

Things still manageable in the first week even though we still rushing to finish the poster as soon as we can...thankfully Poster was done on Friday. no time to comment on the layout or so.. just some typo for 51st independence day rather than 57th..

At least I still got the time to do some shopping. I got my shoes on fri at number 1 shoes at a 'very worth it' rate =) as I got it by buying 1 pair get 2nd pair for free. so I got 2 heels for 20 dollar. I m hapi for the day. On Sunday morning went to dim sum with frenz.was stil pretty relaxing at least I still managed to watch the closing ceremony for Olympic ;p

But things getting panic on Sunday night. We are gonna pay the remaining sum to intercon soon. come to think of it, it was about $10,000 including all the food cost n av system. I seriously hav no idea how to fork out such large amount though, although v got a few sponsors on our hand, but mainly v got vouchers instead of cash. v hoping msd n umno could gv moreee~~

# One wk before mNite...
#Monday#
Aunty was back to hicom, so mirah & I decided to meet her as soon as v can. On that morning, we were bz printing the invitation cards. Sad to say v were quite messed up with the printing, got the wrong sides n v need to print the whole thing again.. so end up v met aunty around 2.30pm. we were sorry to bother aunty since she had many things to sort out yet, but v oso muka tebal la, since we know we were running late, we need to get things done as soon as v can. Well, aunty commented mostly on the budget since money is the critical issue now. She told us that our hire cost was too exp, she even showed us most of the proposal submitted by other uni. as u know, evy1 was having their m’sian night or malam merdeka up n it seems that most of them the venue hire fees n waitress charge were all complimentary with the food paid. So mainly we kena bully by this intercon for charging us for almost evy single thing, no any special packages available, not even qualify for the credit facility available. Aunty reckoned that we two are too ignorant, she recommended us to go back to intercon n talk to them, trying to cut cost mainly..
As usual, aunty came out with lots of advices. she said she could sensed our woriness behind our smiling face (which is obviously true…that we two are so panic right now)she came out with a few options though, either
  • we approach the hotel, deal with it
  • Or postpone it, change the venue
  • Or cancel the whole thing
Woo~ the las option sounds bit crazy…we will not want to do that , we know we mz continue with it even though we dunno how..grins
After a long day of hearing to aunty’s advices, we decided to held an urgent meeting with our fellow team mates. It was so sweet of aunty to drop us at Nando so that v could hav dinner. Right after dinner, it was so thoughtful of Mdm director ;p to grab us some snacks for the urgent meeting on that night. At that moment, we needed evy committee ideas to work out what we can do. Thank god that mostly came. after some brainstorming going on, all of us helped out in checking different packages available for all the hotels in wellington (to prepare my back ups for tmr morning) while Marketing team was working hard to persuade ppl to come to the m’sian night. u know we got many lame reasons which we hav expected earlier =(
All committees had also agreed to fork out $50 each to make us pay the remaining balance if we failed our mission tmr.

#Tuesday#
I get so stress up though. I cant even eat. Hav made an appointment with Amy since Robert is on leave. I knew that evy1 had relied on us today. I know that if I failed it, I make evryone sad. I dun wish to bring disappointment but I doubt my ability. At the start, I failed to get any positve answer from Amy. I were so worried that I would not want to walk out the hotel without successfully doing stg out of it. I kept on crapping, at least trying to keep Amy talking while I could hav some time to bash out some good points to make them cut down their price..
Was really thankful that all of a sudden I came out with the point that I try to replace the lambton room 3 into changing room rather than hire another room for it, that will make us save huge cost! I m so hapi that I actually tot of it since we could not really reduce the number of ppl since we hav signed the contract that we will pay a minimum of 180 guests. After the successdul deal, next on, we complained about the waitress cost, its crazy la..1 hr $25 , I think I oso wanna be the waitress for intercon =P Amy finally came out with an option that the hotel could came out with a mini buffet on the vip table(huh... she should hav inform us earlier abt this option) n that needs only 1 waitress which could cut out more cost!
i m proud that in total I managed to discuss n save up around 500 dollar! Even though its far beyond $1000 like aunty expected, but still I think it was a success! I m hapi for the day =) cant wait to tell aunty n the rest of the team …

Met Mr Avninder to hand out the invi, so happen he was in kayu manis, so at the same time we gav Ms owner of kayu manis the invi too. We hav a friendly chat with Uncle rent a car, Aunty kayu manis n the Mr Harvey Norman, all of them are Malaysian born n i just realised they were all good frenz. Mirah n I were really hapi to meet them =) they were really caring n friendly to talk with...

We hav a meet up with Ahmal n Iqmal later on to discuss on promotion issue n work out on how many more tables v need to sell. Yet, I got an email from Amy that she had reduced our tables to 150 guests and our table arrangements had also changed. All in a sudden…oops…15 tables? In that instant we tot v might hav oversell our tickets. come to think of it, it was funny, at first we were all wori that we cant manage to sell all 180 seats but now end up v realised that we only hav 2 more tables to go. yay yay! we felt that we will be going to hit our target much more easier. As illustrated in the new floor plan, there were only 4 blocks set up for the stage. 6 blocks was ady insufficient, now lagi worst, so Mirah n I will need to meet up with Intercon again the nex day to discuss further.

# Wednesday #
Early morning, pop up at Intercon again to discuss further on. I bet Amy was freaking up dealing with us. but...i hav no time for what others think of... Finally, we sent in our las banquet order up, Amy hav oso agreed to add in more blocks for staging n oso set up gift table n the table arrangements make it plotted form instead of too formal type form. We thought of meeting Mr Avninder for coffee at 10am n got the voucher from him, unfortunately, he was out of town that day, so Mirah & I just headed to Wholly Bagel for bfast =) As we have time to be spared plus I realised that I hav not gotten my bag n shawl for the Mnite, so Mirah & I finally decided to go for shopping awhile at Cuba St. We found this shop, Paper Bag princess opposite Satay Kingdom which are full of cheap fashionable clothings. Sad to say, I cant really resist though ;p with all the tops n shoes sold there. luckily, Mirah was very good at controlling me...she will show disapproval when I showed her those pretty cute handbags n tops just becoz all those were not for Mnite use. Pretty sad though..lol

On the other side, Shaza n Iynas started to hunt for affordable pressie for the online poll awards. Thanks to them, we managed to get 4 complimentary tickets from Embassy Theatre! So that adds more varieties to our prizes =) While mirah & I went to Harvey Norman to meet this Malaysian Guy who is also a frenz of Mr Avninder. We thought we will be able to get cheaper Ipod over there. But sadly, we didn’t manage to get any discount either as Harvey Norman was oso selling at zero profit lvl. Instead we thought of purchasing the ipod online, since its about the same price n even comes with free craving. So we headed a quiet cafĂ© so that we could place our order from the online Apple store. We went into Friendly Bakery at Cuba St. for a coffee, while making a phone call to Apple at the same time waiting to meet up with Mr Avninder. Since time doesn’t allow, we could not manage to get the free craving on ipod, but we managed to get a RED ipod shuffle! when mirah asked me wat colour i want, i said RED! :D red ipod is not available throughout the store at Welly, but there were still stocks at that store =)) So i think it was a good deal.

My dinner was a slice of Tiramisu from Cube at Readings n a cup of milo from Wan Ling ;) Having such dinner ady was such a bless since I hav missed out alot of proper meal these days. We hav a committee meeting again at night. Our aim was to make everyone informed about the programme flow and could start on working on tickets, programmes as well as vip booklets. I reckon that night wasn’t that efficient though, but we managed to get the doorgift n tickets done. Thanks to iynas of being so kind for constantly serving chips, ice creams n wedges. Gosh..can u imagine how fattening it is, I was eating wedges at 3am in the morning ;p

No comments: